In Los Angeles, Marc Jacobs was among the several fashion houses whose stores were broken into and looted during the George Floyd protests over the weekend. According to WWD, some people made off with clothes and accessories from retailers like Nordstrom, Alexander McQueen and Ray-Ban.
Related | How to Support Protesters in Every City
Videos on social media showed that the Marc Jacobs store, located on Melrose Ave, had its glass doors shattered and shop floor cleared of all merchandise. A "F*** capitalism" tag was scribbled on a window, while a large placard at the entrance that displayed Jacobs' logo had the designer's name crossed out.
Written on the entrance sign were the names of George Floyd, whose death sparked nationwide protests after a video showed a policeman in Minneapolis pressing his knee on Floyd's neck, and Sandra Bland, the woman who was found dead in a jail cell in Texas in 2015 after she was arrested during a traffic stop.
Jacobs shared a photo of the placard (to both his personal and company Instagram account) with the caption "A life cannot be replaced. Black Lives Matter." His response was met with praise from users on social media, who commended Jacobs for using his platform to empathize with the protesters and their message.
Many also compared his response to that of fellow designer Virgil Abloh , who faced criticism for a $50 donation he made to a Miami community bail fund.
Jacobs' has been vocal about the importance of the Black Lives Matter movement and activists like Jane Elliott and Colin Kaepernick . Other luxury fashion brands have been have been slower to take a stance, while activewear companies like Nike and Adidas quickly showed their support toward the protests.
The lootings also reached other major brands all over the country like Chanel, Dior and Coach as some groups start to demonstrate their growing contempt for class divides, wealth gaps and inequality.
Photo via Instagram
- Miley Cyrus Walked at Marc Jacobs in Front of Nicki Minaj - PAPER ›
- Marc Jacobs on His New Line Featuring Reissues of Greatest Hits ... ›
- Marc Jacobs Reveals Why He Never Produced His Fall 2020 Show ... ›
- Marc Jacobs Documents His Lockdown Life in New Short Film - PAPER ›
- Old Marc Jacobs Is Fashion's Latest Archival Instagram ›
- Marc Jacobs Sets Date for Return to the Runway After Hiatus - PAPER ›
- Winona Ryder Redeems Herself in Marc Jacobs' New Campaign ›
- Bella and Gigi Hadid Had Shaved Heads at Marc Jacobs' Show ›
- Marc Jacobs Assembles Y2K Icons for Stam Bag Campaign ›