In lieu of holding a runway show this season, Helmut Lang creative director Thomas Cawson opted for a series of inclusive photographs. The images depict friends of the brand wearing Helmut Lang Fall 2020 around Christopher Street in New York, a historic street known for its LGBT presence.
They're also an ode to a series of photos taken by Sunil Gupta, the photographer who "cruised" Christopher Street in 1976 to capture the queer scene in the time after the Stonewall riots and before the AIDS crisis. For Fall 2020, Cawson tapped Gupta to shoot on that same location over 30 years later.
The cast is made up of a diverse group of faces like Jacob Bixenman, Debra Shaw and Parker Kit. An exhibition of Gupta's 1976 photos paired alongside the Fall 2020 Helmut Lang photos are currently on display at the Helmut Lang boutique at 821 Washington Street through Friday, February 14. See below for the complete set of images.
Photos courtesy of Helmut Lang/Sunil Gupta
- Katie Burnett Reinterprets Helmut Lang/Willie Norris Collab - PAPER ›
- Watch Helmut Lang's New Space Voyage Destination "HelmutLand" - PAPER ›
- Helmut Lang Is Making Sculptures Out of Saint Laurent Archives ›
- Helmut Lang Debuts New Artist Series With Carlota Guerrero - PAPER ›
- See the 14 Final Designs for Helmut Lang's T-Shirt Contest ›