Anyone who watched the 2021 VMAs can probably agree that Doja Cat and her incredible hosting skills were highlights of the night. However, one of her greatest contributions to VMAs history was, arguably, her arsenal of camptastic outfits. And according to the internet, the most memorable one had to be her eye-popping, yellow and blue "worm" dress.
Related | Doja Cat: Reloaded
While accepting the award for "Best Collaboration" alongside SZA for "Kiss Me More," Doja appeared on-stage in a cozy-looking Thom Browne dress from the brand's SS18 collection, which gave her an opportunity to show off her amazing sense of humor. And the way she did that? By telling the crowd that she "never thought [she'd] be dressed as a worm accepting an award."
Naturally, Twitter user used the moment as meme fodder, seeing as how the look was compared to everything from a "Playskool glow worm" to a sleeping bag to Heimlich the caterpillar from A Bug's Life. And, of course, plenty of "Doja Caterpillar" puns.
why tf is doja cat a playskool glow worm pic.twitter.com/x8OA27L6FR— Shane Creamer (@VZRSportsBelle) September 13, 2021
doja cat is cosplaying me in a sleeping bag when i was 12 #VMAs— ¨̮ sage ¨̮ (@sageandrage) September 13, 2021
we stan dojaCATerpillar am I right? 🐛 pic.twitter.com/BhRmvWWZzr— planet her CEO (@DojaHitSoSticky) September 13, 2021
its giving me DOJA CATerpillar😭😂 https://t.co/YviCguOTGF— onikasleeze (@onikasl3eze) September 13, 2021
Honestly, we're obsessed. See what else people are saying about Doja Caterpillar, below.
stylist: so what kind of look are u going for??— certified forklift boy (@randal1211) September 13, 2021
doja: did u ever see that 90s live action show Alice’s Adventures In Wonderland? remember the caterpillar dude on there???
stylist: say no more, fam.. pic.twitter.com/XrKv9aNNeh
Doja makes history as the first woman dressed as a worm to win an award at the VMAs pic.twitter.com/L5OWEuo9W2— Dija- Gullible era| ᴺᴹ (@KadijahWasher) September 13, 2021
doja accepting her award be like pic.twitter.com/JLs4KgnCGi— august (@dlaminibabe) September 13, 2021
Doja wearing this season’s Alaskan Bull Worm 💅 pic.twitter.com/yDgQ5bpZ9m— Sarah (@d0ntblink) September 13, 2021
Photo via Getty / Jeff Kravitz
- Doja Cat Explains Her Viral Hit "MOOO!" - PAPER ›
- Break the Internet: Doja Cat Interviewed in PAPER - PAPER ›
- The 2020 MTV VMAs Red Carpet: Best and Worst Looks - PAPER ›
- The VMAs Beauty Looks Worth Repeating ›
- Internet Reacts to Zodiac Killer Being Identified With Memes ›
- Doja Cat Releases New Interactive "Woman" Music Video - PAPER ›
- Doja Cat Speaks On Working With Dr. Luke - PAPER ›
- Doja Cat Addresses Working With Dr. Luke - PAPER ›
- Is Doja Cat Quitting Music? ›
- Doja Cat, Dillon Francis Bring Snacks to the 2022 Grammys ›
- Doja Cat Helped Bring Back Taco Bell's Mexican Pizza ›