According to officials, 33-year-old Glee actress, Naya Rivera, is currently missing after a boat trip on Lake Piru in Southern California. Rivera was last seen Wednesday afternoon renting a pontoon boat for an afternoon of swimming with her 4-year-old son. The son was later discovered alone sleeping on board after Rivera failed to return the boat to the rental staff.
Related | A Quarantine Love Letter to 'Glee'
Ventura County Sheriff's Department Capt. Eric Buschow told reporters "We're going on the belief that she did go in the water and we have not been able to locate her. So this may well be a case of drowning." Authorities were able to confirm Rivera's identity thanks to a purse and wallet left aboard the boat and have deployed divers and air rescue units in an effort to locate the actress. Their search was suspended late last night but is expected to resume.
Many have taken note of an eerily prescient Instagram Rivera posted only days prior. "No matter the year, circumstance, or strifes [sic] everyday you're alive is a blessing," Rivera writes. "Make the most of today and every day you are given. Tomorrow is not promised."
Fans have taken to social media in an outpouring of love and support for Rivera with the hope that she will be found safe and alive.
We will update this post as the story continues to develop.
Photo via Getty
- Now We Scream: Ryan Murphy's Camp, Queer Decade - PAPER ›
- The Thirst Is Real: Celebrity Desperation In the Age of Social Media ... ›
- Kevin McHale on "Glee," Coming Out and His New EP - PAPER ›
- Glee Star Heather Morris Asks to Join Search for Naya Rivera - PAPER ›
- Naya Rivera Confirmed Dead; Drowned After Saving Her Son - PAPER ›
- Naya Rivera's Ex-Husband Ryan Dorsey Breaks His Silence - PAPER ›