1 box of Ghirardelli double chocolate brownie mix, plus water, oil, & egg (follow ingredient amounts on box)
3/4 -cup dried cranberries
3/4 -cup shelled raw pistachios
Pistachios and cranberries for garnish
6 oz 62 percent Semisweet Scharffen Berger chocolate
7 oz heavy cream
1.5 fl oz rum (dark or light)
1. Follow the simple directions from the box and stir in cranberries and pistachios.
2. Pour batter into a greased 7x11 pan, leaving about a 1/4 inch from the top.
3. Bake in 325? oven for about 45 minutes.
4. Let brownies cool in pan.
For rum ganache frosting:
1. Cut chocolate into large chunks and place in food processor.
2. Pulse chocolate until it resembles a coarse ground powder.
3. Bring cream to a boil. Once cream has boiled remove from heat.
4. Slowly add 1/4 of the cream to chocolate while processor is running. Allow machine to run for 30 seconds. Continue adding cream very slowly in small portions, allowing at least 10 seconds in between additions.
5. Add rum slowly while processor is still running to combine.
Putting it all together:
1. While brownies are still in pan and cooled, pour ganache over brownies smoothing with an offset spatula. Ganache will be a bit runny, but will harden as it cools.
2. Place entire pan in refrigerator to set. To keep your ganache frosting looking smooth, avoid any contact with the surface. Creating a tin foil tent over the pan is helpful in avoiding accidents.
3. Finely chop extra pistachios and cranberries to garnish.
4. Enjoy, and pretend you've made it all from scratch!
Not in the mood for last minute baking? Good! Neither are we! That's why we live in New York, the land where you can buy practically everything -- from a ready-made Thanksgiving dinner to a grandmother to tell you how bad it is. Yes, we are pretty sure you can buy a grandmother! Here are some delicious and creative Thanksgiving dessert-buying options for all you lazy sons of bitches! Enjoy!
Choux pastry with pumpkin pastry cream and candied eclairs.
Payard, 1032 Lexington Ave., (212) 744-4422. www.payard.com
November's "Cake of the Month."
Baked, 359 Van Brunt St., Red Hook, Brooklyn, (718) 222-0345. www.bakednyc.com
OLD FASHIONED PECAN PIE
Sweet Melissa, 276 Court St., Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn, (718) 855-3410.
Candied ginger coated in dark chocolate
Jacques Torres Chocolate Haven, 350 Hudson St., (212) 414-2462. www.mrchocolate.com
MAPLE WALNUT GELATO
Il Laboratorio del Gelato, 95 Orchard St., (212) 343 9922.
PUMPKIN OR APPLE CINNAMON DOUGHNUTS
The Doughnut Plant, 379 Grand St., (212)505-3700.
SWEET POTATOE PIE
RONNYBROOK FARM DAIRY HEAVY CREAM
For making deliciously thick whipped cream to accompany all of the above.
Chelsea Market, 75 Ninth Ave., (212) 741-6455.