Liza and PAPER? We go together like Halston and sequins! The indomitable queen of show biz (recipient, lest we forget, of Oscar, Tony, Emmy and Grammy awards), graced the cover of our November 1989 issue and sang "New York, New York" at our 25th-anniversary party. She's given performances as vivid and varied as the heart-rending Sally Bowles in Cabaret and the wobbly Lucille "2" Austero in Arrested Development, and Minnelli is nowhere near slowing down: she'll perform at Mississippi's IP Casino Resort & Spa this month and will bring her new show, Great Day, to two venues in Oklahoma this November. Meanwhile, since she's put so many smiles on our faces, we thought we'd ask what puts a smile on hers.
1. Rehearsing Great Day with my great friends Billy Stritch, Jim Caruso and Cortes Alexander. It's great to work with people I've known so long.
2. Thinking of the greatest gift my parents ever gave me: my godmother, Kay Thompson. She was the inspiration for Liza's at the Palace...
3. Monaco in the spring.
4. Anything dulce de leche.
5. Meet Me in St. Louis, where it all began. It's lovely being able to see when my father fell in love with my mother.
6. My puppies Emelina, Blaize and Oscar.
7. Thinking of Halston and what he left me. I miss him every day.
8. Hanging out in my pajamas, watching TCM. They show the very best of Hollywood. And Robert Osborne knows everything.