1. NYC's official Design Week doesn't take place until May, but there are several big design and architecture events to liven-up the Fall. MoMA (11 West 53rd Street) takes a retro look at everybody's favorite room with "Counter Space: Design and the Modern Kitchen" that runs until March 14. The museum also examines the social responsibilty of architecture in eleven projects for underserved communities, with an exhibit called "Small Scale, Big Change" that opens on October 3 and runs until January 3, 2011.
2. Also, from October 14 to 17, Tribeca Cinemas will be the home of the first Architecture and Design Film Festival. All the details are here. We want to catch a screening of Studio Gang about Chicago architect Jeanne Gang and her spectacular Aqua Tower. We spotted the building near Millennium Park during SONAR and couldn't resist walking over for a closer look.
3. Boy crazy! Perez Hilton, Simon Fuller and Jamie King are looking for boys between 12 and 15 years old to form "the boy band for the next generation." Here's the info. Be sure to bring your mom.
4. Philippe Starck re-designed the Royal Monceau Hotel in Paris and it opens on October 20. He also has been keeping busy designing bollards for a yacht harbor in Spain. Here's one.
5. Vampire Weekend are on The Ellen DeGeneres Show today, September 28, 4 p.m., EST. (Or you can watch it here on Stereogum)
6. The fourth-annual day honoring the late skateboarder Harold Hunter is set for October 10. There's a skate jam at L.E.S. Skatepark (Pike Street and Monroe Street) from 1 p.m. - 5 p.m. and an after-party at Panda NYC (139 Chrystie Street).