The South By South Bronx Festival Kicks Off This Weekend...
1. UK artist Damien Hirst is leaving Gagosian after 17 years with the New York gallery. The split was "amicable." (Financial Times, photo by Luke Stephenson on Flickr)
2. It's a little too soon to head down to Austin, but NYC now has its own cool festival called SXSBX, aka South By South Bronx. The two-day event starts today, December 14, at Hostos Community College (450 Grand Concourse, Bronx) and it's a big celebration of hip-hop culture. There's a full schedule of workshops, concerts and special guests including Afrika Bambaataa, DJ Kool Herc and Grand Wizard Theodore.
3. NASA jumped the gun on the upcoming December 21st apocalypse by releasing this video explaining "why the world didn't end yesterday."
4. NYC-based photographer Marlis Momber captured the Lower East Side back in the '70s. Her 1978 documentary film, Viva Loisaida!, is being screened at Tu Casa Rehearsal Studio (95 Avenue B) on Sunday, December 16, at 3 p.m., with a $10 suggested donation. (EV Grieve)
5. What made Sandy so destructive? In case you were wondering. (Global Economic Intersection)
6. Photo of the day: No Parking!