Jeff Canham at the Standard + the Mini Band Is Our New Favorite Band in Today's Eight Items or Less
1. New York's Standard Hotel (848 Washington Street) launches a limited edition of cool flags and pennants by San Francisco artist Jeff Canham tonight, October 6, 6 to 8 p.m., in the hotel's gift shop.
2. The French government banned schools from serving ketchup...except with fries. [L.A. Times]
3. The cleaning staff hired for London's Olympic Village will be "trained to report suspicious behaviors or materials." [BBC] Better leave your vaporizer at home. [NYT]
4. Coldplay is doing a live-stream broadcast from Madrid on October 26 for Am Ex and VEVO. The performance will be directed by Anton Corbijn and you can watch it here.
5. Workers at a Swiss ski resort covered a glacier with a huge tarp over the summer to slow melting. It worked. [FT]
6. Party tonight, October 6, at subMercer (147 Mercer Street) to celebrate the first release on the club's own record label ((M)). There will be Belvedere cocktails from 10 p.m. to midnight, but you have to wear something red!
7. A 33-year-old Chicago man was selected from 1,000 applicants to live in that city's Museum of Science & Industry for 30 days. [ChicagoTribune] You can follow him on Facebook.
8. Here is an amazing video of the U.K.'s the Mini Band (comprised of of 8 to 10-year-olds) covering "Enter Sandman" by Metallica at a fair. Stone-faced little girls playing Kirk Hammett solos FOREVER! [Revolver]