Chicness is a tough thing to peg with cartoon characters, as it can be defined by a lot of things, particularly attitude. (For instance, are Winnie the Pooh and Porky Pig chic for having the nerve to never wear pants? What about the raccoon in Pocahontas? Gloves and matching eye masks are always glamorous.) In the end, we defined cartoon chicness by our favorite animated characters who bring a sleekness, sophistication or an inventiveness to their looks. Check out our list below. Who did we leave out? Update: Here's part 2!
16. Snagglepuss, The Yogi Bear Show
There's something slightly 1970s-gigolo about Snagglepuss and that's a look we can't resist. Heavens to Murgatroyd!
15. Tennessee Tuxedo and Chumley, Tennessee Tuxedo and His Tales
Tennessee's a shoo-in for this list because he's in black-tie 24-hours a day. Plus, what's posher than having a walrus house-boy sidekick in a tie and hat?
14. King Triton, The Little Mermaid
He's very Bruce Weber-photo-shoot-for-W-magazine. A sexy, aging muscle daddy in Elsa Peretti-style cuffs.
13. The Misfits, Jem
12. Patti Mayonnaise, Doug
We get Commes-Des-Garcons-casual-day-look vibes from Patti. German-neo-realist-androgyne always seems fresh.
11. Cruella de Vil, 101 Dalmatians
We hate rewarding animal cruelty and fur, but come on -- the pointy kitten heels, cigarette holder, and Daphne Guinness two-tone hair scream chicness.
10. Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather, Sleeping Beauty
They prove that monochromatic looks are always a good idea and that chicness knows no size.
9. Squiddly Diddly, The Atom Ant/Secret Squirrel Show
Accessible-chic and so Jean Paul Gaultier. The nautical look never goes out of style.
8. Schleprock, The Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm Show
It's very John Galliano for Dior-couture. Sigh.
7. Penelope Pitstop, Wacky Races
Penelope was sort of a goody two-shoes, but good girls can be chic, too! Especially if they're thoroughly accessorized in full 1930s-esque driving accessories.
6. Secret Squirrel and Morocco Mole, The Atom Ant/Secret Squirrel Show Secret Squirrel looks very Hermes with his trench coat and chic, Phillip Treacy peek-a-boo hat. Morocco Mole wears a fez and an ascot -- case closed.
5. Jiminy Cricket and Pinocchio
Pinocchio is so Thom Browne-meets-Lanvin with his shorts and floppy bow. Jiminy Cricket is the most Savile Row insect in history.
4. Jane Lane, Daria
She's very hard-lesbian-1980s-SoHo-art-dealer. Think Parker Posey as Mary Boone in Basquiat.
3. Jack Skellington, The Nightmare Before Christmas
As a skeleton, Jack is the perfect height and BMI for runway. Plus what's chicer than a head-to-toe black ensemble? His look screams Hedi-Slimane-for-Dior-Homme (or next season's YSL?)
2. Weirdly and Creepella Gruesome, The Flintstones
Straight off the runway at a Rick Owens show. The definition of jolie laide.
1. The Evil Queen, Snow White
The Chicest Cartoon Characters Part 2
Wes Anderson's Fantastic Mr. FILF