Eight Items or Less: The Mermaid Parade Heads to Coney Island + KAWS Heads to the Standard
1. The 29th Annual Mermaid Parade takes place on June 18 starting at 2 p.m., with assembly beginning at 10 a.m. at the corner of Surf Avenue and West 21st Street in Coney Island. This year's King Neptune is Man vs. Food's Adam Richman and Queen Mermaid is Cat Greenleaf from our favorite taxi TV show, Talk Stoop.
2. A gigantic sculpture called "Companion(Passing Through)" by acclaimed New York artist KAWS is going up in the plaza of the NY Standard Hotel (848 Washington Street) from June 8th to October 1st.
3. Iggy Pop in a black gown with a Dior handbag. Just lovely. [Buzzfeed]
4. The Postelles are playing Mercury Lounge (217 East Houston) tonight and tomorrow, June 7th and 8th. AND: L.A.'s Nosaj Thing, Free the Robots and Hellfire Machina are at Webster Hall (125 East 11th Street) on Friday, June 10th.
5. Andy Warhol's portrait of Blondie singer Debbie Harry is being auctioned at Sotheby's in London on June 29th, It's expected to sell for around $9 million. [BBC]
6. Marin County artist Kellesimone Waits is opening a show of her latest work, "What's Your Power Animal," tomorrow night, June 8, 7 to 10 p.m. at FUSE Gallery (93 2nd Avenue).The show is up until July 6.
7. Christian Marclay's 24-hour-long video "The Clock" won the Golden Lion prize at the 2011 Venice Biennale.
8. I don't have ADHD, I just find it hard to concentrate sometimes. [Buzzfeed]