Eight Items or Less: subHotels, Ebony Bones & Haiti Benefit
1. What was once mysterious is now ubiquitous: subMercer, subAce and subHudson. Secret clubs under hotels are spreading fast.
2. We've seen her LIVE in NYC, Barcelona and Miami and we're going again! Ebony Bones is back in New York for shows on January 26 at Mercury Lounge (217 East Houston) and February 13 at Southpaw (125 Fifth Avenue, Brooklyn). As we said last year: "It's less of a concert and more of a theme park."
3. In case you missed the last one, there's another party this week for Vince Aletti's fantastic book The Disco Files. Stop by Santos (96 Lafayette Street) on January 20 and hear DJs Danny Krivit and Tony Smith. No excuses about having to get to bed early since the doors open at 6 p.m. and it's only $5 before 7 p.m.
4. Check out this parody of "Empire State of Mind" by comedian Billy Eichner called "Forest Hills State of Mind." (via Animal)
5. Malcolm McLaren is appearing at the New York Public Library (476 Fifth Avenue) on February 2, 6 p.m. McLaren will be discussing his film-based art works and his book Musical Paintings with Cay-Sophie Rabinowitz, curator and editor of the quarterly photo magazine Fantom.
6. Benefit for Haiti at The Bell House (149 7th Street, Gowanus) January 27, 6 p.m., with Jimmy Fallon, Cold War Kids, Ted Leo, The Wrens, Sondre Lerche and lots more. $50 tickets available here.
Photo of the Ace Hotel's basement bar via BlackBook