Eight Items Or Less: New York Nightlife Is For Dorks & Tom Shannon's Paint Gun Masterpieces
1. New "Dork" City? UK's The Telegraph thinks our "Sex In the City"- inspired nightlife scene is history. What's hot now: SPiN (48 East 23rd Street), 675 Bar (675 Hudson Street), Carnival (110 University Place) and other video and board-game friendly bars.
2. Scion, GreenShoelace and Musebox are hosting a free party on Wednesay, April 14, at 9 p.m. with Streetlab, Das Racist (DJ set), Hush Now and Bottle Up And Go at Santos (96 Lafayette Street). RSVP here.
3. Check out this great website called "Documentary Heaven" that features over 900 films on everything from robots to hemp.
4. Pitchfork gives the new MGMT album a 6.8.
5. An exhibit of new paintings by Tom Shannon opens this Thursday, April 15, at Francis M. Naumann Fine Art ( 24 West 57th Street). The works were created with radio-controlled paint guns attached to a pendulum.
6. He's been releasing records for several years, but L.A.'s Ariel Pink is about to explode. Check out his latest single "Round and Around" and his new album on 4AD records coming out in June.