Eight Items or Less: Art In the Streets + The James Beard Foundation's Pop-Up Restaurant
1. Ballroom Marfa, the Texas non-profit contemporary arts space, is hosting a benefit auction/concert/dinner in New York City tomorrow, April 12, with music from Andrew Wyatt and Pontus Winnberg of Miike Snow and DJ JD Sampson of Le Tigre. All the action takes place at 548 West 22nd Street here in NYC.
2. The Los Ã ngeles Times takes a look at that city's street art pioneers: Chyaz Bojorquez, RISK and Craig Stecyk. All three are represented in MOCA's "Art In the Streets" exhibition opening next week at the Geffen Contemporary. If you can't make out to LA, the exhibit comes to the Brooklyn Museum of Art in March of 2012.
3. Tomorrow is the 50th anniversary of manned space flight. [The Telegraph]
4. The James Beard Foundation's pop-up restaurant, JBF LTD, opens tomorrow in the Chelsea Market (75 9th Avenue) and closes in 27 days. [JamesBeard.org]
5. The Steampunk World's Fair is back on May 20, 21 and 22 in the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Somerset, New Jersey. The complete program of events, dinners, concerts, speakers etc is here.
6. Songs that make you cry. [The Guardian]
7. A miner in Kentucky found a 300-million-year-old shark fossil. [HuffPo]