1. Alt-J, Emeli Sande and Mumford & Sons top this year's list of nominees for the UK Brit Awards with three nominations each. Amy Winehouse was also nominated posthumously for Best Female Singer for her Lioness: Hidden Treasures album and the Rolling Stones were nominated for Best Live Act. The winners will be announced on Wednesday, February 20.
2. An amazing and controversial new theory claims that the continuing drop in U.S. crime rates is due to the fact that lead has been banned from paint and gasoline. (Mother Jones; photo via WikiCommons)
3. The Belgian artist Francis Alÿs -- currently living and working in Mexico City -- opens his second solo show at David Zwirner Gallery (525 and 533 West 19th Street) tonight, January 10, 6 to 8 p.m. Look for several new paintings, as well a screening of his 20-minute film "Reel-Unreel." It's all on view until February 9.
4. Cute baby somethings.
5. Scissor Sisters singer Jake Shears is also a photographer. Check out his "Tour Diary" from the Fall of 2012 on Life + Times. (Photo by Steven Anthony Hammock on Flickr)
6. Brilliant ad for Fiat 500L with a rapping UK housewife. Already over 2.5 million views.
7. For their first foray into the Sundance Film Festival, Nikki Beach is hosting a 3-day pop-up on the roof of the Sky Lodge Hotel (201 Heber Avenue, Park City, Utah). It's open for three nights during the festival's opening weekend, January 18, 19 & 20. The festival itself runs through January 27.