1. Who is the youngest man to enter the album chart at #1 with his debut album? As of today, that would be 18-year-old American Idol winner Scotty McCreery for Clear As Day. Fiest's Metals entered at #7, her first top ten album. [Billboard]
2. Forget about a bomb shelter. Get this tsunami rescue pod. [Tech2]
3. Ed. Varie Gallery and the zine/publishers Hamburger Eyes present "The Inferno" group photo show opening October 20, 7 to 10 p.m. at 208 East 7th Street. The exhibit remains up until November 13 and includes works by Lisa Weiss, Andrea Sonnenberg, Alessandro Zuek Simonetti, Yuri Shibuya, Lele Saveri, Dave Potes and Patrick Griffin.
4. Tickets for Miami's three-day Ultra Music Festival (March 23, 24 and 25, 2012) are now on sale here for $300.
5. Oh Land is back in NYC in December with shows at The Music Hall of Williamsburg (Dec . 11) and Bowery Ballroom (Dec. 12.).
6. If you're a sofubi (Japanese soft-vinyl toys) fanatic, be sure to stop by the "Toy Party" this Saturday, October 15, 7 to 11 p.m. at Williamsburg gallery Cotton Candy Machine (235 South 1st Street, Brooklyn). Lullubell and Lullubell Japan, Cherry Vinyl, Grody Shogun, Velocitron are hosting exclusive releases plus Tara McPherson celebrates the release of "George" in a limited edition of six resin figures.
7. Cibo Matto and Yu Sakai are playing a Japan Society show on October 20th with Nels Cline of Wilco, Yuko Araki of Cornelius, Jesse Murphy of Brazilian Girls and Doug Wieselman of Antony and the Johnsons. Tickets here.
8. MGMT is playing two nights, November 10 and 11, at the Guggenheim Museum (1071 Fifth Avenue). The first night is the museum's annual gala and celebrates the Maurizio Cattelan exhibition with $200 admission for the general public while the second night admission is $40. Tickets to both nights will be on sale here this Friday, October 14, 10 a.m. Watch MGMT's James Richardson interview his fellow band members about art and former SNL cast members in this video below.